Make Good College and Career Decisions
- Know Yourself– identify your interests, personality type, strengths, etc.
- Explore Your Options– investigate careers, colleges and college majors
- Set a Short Term and a Long Term Career and College Goal–
- Short Term-What do you want to be doing a year from now?
- Long Term- What do you want to be doing five years from now?
- Make a Plan- How will you achieve your goals? How will you get there?
- Do an Interest Inventory (RIASEC code): www.mynextmove.org/explore/ip
- Do a Personality Test (MBTI code): www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp (or) www.personalitytype.com/career_quiz
- Take high school and college classes (ECAP) to explore your interests.
- Take advantage of internship and job shadowing opportunities
Explore Your Options–
- Use your RIASEC and MBTI codes to explore careers that match your interests and personality
- Research specific careers: onetonline.org
- Research colleges/technical schools and possible majors: bigfuture.collegeboard.org
- Visit college and technical school campuses and websites, including youniversitytv.com
- Attend college fairs, including collegeweeklive.com
Set your Goals and Make a Plan–
- Talk to your counselors and teachers
- Use your Naviance account through your high school
- Use online planning tools: bigfuture.collegeboard.com http://bettermakeroom.org/our-story
- Practice and register for college testing:
- Practice SAT: https://www.khanacademy.org/sat